Holy Family

Holy Family

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Feast of Blessed Pierina Morosini

Good morning. Once again we find Jesus being pestered by the Pharisees; they accuse Jesus of violating the Sabbath law by healing a cripple. In the process of explaining himself he presents a wonderful image of His relationship with God the Father, noting that His work is about imitating God the Father’s redemptive work in all that He does. The description of this relationship in today’s Gospel between Jesus and the heavenly Father offers a glimpse of the relationship that exists between most all fathers and sons. “The Son cannot do anything on his own, but only what he sees the Father doing; for what he does, the Son will do also. For the Father loves the Son and shows him everything that he himself does.” (Jn 5:19-20) As I read this passage this morning it brought to mind images of my own two sons in their younger days emulating my activities around the yard. This awareness that children are inclined toward imitating their parents is an important lesson in our parenting efforts. As parents we need to be mindful to strive to be the type of person we desire our children to be. As parents we can’t just talk the talk but we must walk the walk. This Gospel passage from the Book of John continues with offering an explanation that all that Jesus did was guided by His understanding of the mission given to Him by the heavenly Father. “I cannot do anything on my own; I judge as I hear, and my judgment is just, because I do not seek my own will but the will of the one who sent me.” (Jn 5:30) We likewise in our role as parents need to be guided by a similar sense of mission, keeping in mind that our children’s faith and relationship with God will be guided by their emulation of our own faith and relationship with God. May we, through the intercession of the Holy Family, be guided this day in the care entrusted to us as parents. Make a great day!

Today we recall the good life, gifts, and works of Blessed Pierina Morosini. Through her intercession may we embrace her lesson of chastity in our own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment