Holy Family

Holy Family

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Feast of Saint Philip and Saint James


Good morning. In marriage we reach out to one another in various ways, one way certainly is through our words to one another. We often share words of encouragement, affection, affirmation, and even admonishment. In fact, every word spoken to one another has an impact, we decide the outcome of our words.

 In today’s Gospel our Lord is quite taken back by the lack of awareness on the part of Philip as to who Jesus is. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father but through me. If you know me, you will know the Father also; indeed you know him, and you have seen him." Philip asked him, "Lord, show us the Father, and that is enough." Jesus said to him, "What! I have been with you so long and you still do not know me, Philip?” Philip was with Jesus day and night for three years and yet still lacked an understanding that he was in the presence of God. So it is with us.

 When we speak to our spouse do we do so in a way which brings forth God’s presence in our lives? Does God become more present in the words we choose to use with our spouse? When we look to each other is our life such that we are made aware of His presence in our life? Are our words to each other making God’s presence known or working to conceal His presence? The way that we reach out to one another in our marriage reflects our awareness of God’s presence in our lives. I’m reminded of the story of Ruth in the Bible. Her life is the epitome of embracing God’s presence in our relationship with one another. “Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried.” As with Ruth we decide. Where we go in our marriage, and what we do in our marriage, and how we speak to one another in our marriage, we must keep in mind that His presence goes with us. How will we make His presence known? Make a great day!

Today we recall the good lives, gifts, and works of Saint Philip and Saint James.







No comments:

Post a Comment