Holy Family

Holy Family

Monday, February 6, 2012

Feast of Saint Paul Miki and Companions

Good morning. Have you ever had one of those days when the forces seem to be moving in on you from every direction? Have you ever had a day when you feel there are just not enough of you; the children can’t seem to get enough of you? Well, for me, those days are past where our children are concerned, but for most parents those days do exist. As parents there are times we seem never able to attend to those things we desire to, no, instead the demands of our children always seem to come first. As parents there are times we seem to be like the Energizer Bunny; we just keep on giving. Throughout their lives our children reach out to us in need, hoping for us to respond. How we respond to our children’s needs, ultimately provides for them the ability to trust in a God who will respond to their needs. As parents we establish that sense of hope our children need to flourish and grow to believe in a greater good by the way we respond to their needs. Imagine what it must be like to not have such hope. That is exactly what it would be like if as parents we failed to respond to our children’s needs. As parents we respond even when we are weary and it seems we are unable to give anymore. As loving parents we enthusiastically and not so enthusiastically respond. This is not unlike our Lord in today’s Gospel. The crowds will not leave Him alone. They long to see Him to just touch His cloak in the hope that they’ll then be okay. In yesterday’s Gospel Jesus offers us parents the solution to being able to keep on giving, even when it seems we have no more to give; He tells us to take time for our self to pray. In yesterday’s Gospel we read where He went off to a secluded place to pray before going to the next village to preach and give of Himself more. As parents we too need to take the time to find solitude and seize occasional moments to have a conversation with our Father. Like the people in the Gospel stories we long for His presence in our daily lives. As we respond to our children, so too our Father in heaven is there to respond to our needs, to give us the strength we need when we are feeling weary. St. Paul in his letter to the Galatians offers encouragement for us parents. He said: “Let us not grow tired of doing good, for in due time we shall reap our harvest, if we do not give up.” So too our Saint for today, Saint Paul Miki offers us an example to live by. He willingly went to his crucifixion aware that a far greater good awaited him. As parents we instill in our children a hope and an appreciation for something greater by our own example of perseverance and continued self giving. Keep giving, but take time to re-energize through prayer. Make a great day!

Today we recall the good lives, gifts, and works of Saint Paul Miki and his companions. “The only reason for my being killed is that I have taught the doctrine of Christ. I thank God it is for this reason that I die. I believe that I am telling the truth before I die. I know you believe me and I want to say to you all once again: Ask Christ to help you become happy. I obey Christ. After Christ's example, I forgive my persecutors. I do not hate them. I ask God to have pity on all, and I hope my blood will fall on my fellow men as a fruitful rain.” ~Saint Paul Niki

No comments:

Post a Comment