Holy Family

Holy Family

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Feast of Saint Brigid of Ireland

Good morning. Once again we are on the eve of Groundhog Day. The movie Groundhog Day, a 1993 film starring Punxsutawney Phil and Bill Murray,  has to be one of my all-time favorite movies, because almost daily I see variations of this classic comedy played out before my eyes in anything but a laughable way in the lives of the couples seeking marriage counseling. Like Bill Murray these couples awaken each morning living out their lives in a fashion which Albert Einstein is attributed to saying defines insanity. Like Phil, played by Murray, these couples live out their lives like couplets out of rhyme seemingly doomed to spend the rest of their lives reliving the same things over, and over, and over again. Does this sound like anyone you know? Well, then toss caution to the wind, stop the ‘insanity’, and dare to be different, that’s right DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT! This is not always easy, like the good folks of Nazareth in today's Gospel who were reluctant to listen to what the carpenter’s Son had to say, we likewise can be hesitant to step away from the ordinary. So, why not get an early start on Groundhog Day and dare to step outside the comfort zone, dare to love enough to be different. Saint Brigid of Ireland, whose life we celebrate today dared to be different. In a prayer attributed to today’s Saint, she prayed. “I'd like a great lake of beer for the king of kings. I would like to be watching heaven's family drinking it through all eternity." So let’s lift a pint to being different and dare to trust enough to do something different for the sake of our marriage. Make a great day!

Today we recall the good life, gifts, and work of Saint Brigid of Ireland.






I would like the angels of Heaven to be among us.
I would like an abundance of peace.
I would like full vessels of charity.
I would like rich treasures of mercy.
I would like cheerfulness to preside over all.
I would like Jesus to be present.
I would like the three Marys of illustrious renown to be with us.
I would like the friends of Heaven to be gathered around us from all parts.
I would like myself to be a rent payer to the Lord; that I should suffer distress,
that he would bestow a good blessing upon me.
I would like a great lake of beer for the King of Kings.
I would like to be watching Heaven’s family drinking it through all eternity. - Saint Brigid






No comments:

Post a Comment