Holy Family

Holy Family

Friday, October 14, 2011

Feast of Blessed Marie Poussepin

Good morning. As I look at my balding tires I can’t help but wonder if the simplicity of our life has the power to sustain us, does our effort to live good instead of well have what it takes, will our choice to follow Jesus and to live a life of sacrifice enable us to survive in a world that judges us to be fools? I sometimes find myself wondering along with the Prophet Jeremiah: “Why do the evil prosper?” I certainly did yesterday as I hydroplaned off the highway on my way to work. It is readings such as the Gospel for today that remind me that my balding tires in the overall scheme of things are inconsequential. Today’s Gospel reminds me that our response to life ultimately boils down to either choosing Him, or choosing the world. It is in choosing Him that I am able to look to those balding tires and appreciate what a gift they are. After all I have such sorry, pathetic excuse for tires because I choose Him; we choose to give up things of this world for Him. I’m reminded in today’s Gospel that He will provide; He has always looked after us. He assures us: “Even the hairs of your head have all been counted. Do not be afraid.” Silly as it sounds; my life finds meaning in those balding tires. It is in those things I do, and those things I give up to do what I do that I find meaning and purpose. It is in my choosing to live for Him, and in the love he gives me that I in turn give to others in my work, and in my marriage, and in my family. I find meaning and purpose in those silly balding tires. I’m reminded of the exchange between Peter Maurin and Servant of God Dorothy Day from the movie Entertaining Angels: As Dorothy takes their rent and utility money to pay for the first issue of The Catholic Worker, Peter tells her to trust that the Lord will take care of them. A staff member quips, “What if the Lord is busy this month?” Dorothy responds, “Then we’re fools.” To which Peter responds, “Fools for Christ.” Yes, the world likely judges us to be fools for choosing Him, for choosing to find Him in our gift to others. Others likely do find it foolish to place our priorities with God, our marriage and others over things of this world. Flannery O’Connor sums it up nicely: "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you odd." Make a great day!

Today we recall the good life, gifts, and works of Blessed Marie Poussepin.

No comments:

Post a Comment