Holy Family

Holy Family

Monday, June 27, 2011

Feast of Saint Cyril of Alexandria

Good morning. “Follow me where I go what I do and who I know, make it part of you to be a part of me.” These words from the song of the same words by John Denver started buzzing around in my head as I read the Gospel passage for today’s Mass. Jesus presents a challenge to us in today’s Gospel reading from Matthew; He asks if we are prepared to follow Him unconditionally. These words “follow me” have been with me for nearly thirty years; it was one of several songs played at our wedding and it does me well to occasionally play it over in my head. There is much wisdom to be found in the lyrics of this song by the famous singer/songwriter of the 60’s. Just as Jesus suggests in His words to us, “Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head.” Jesus assures us that to follow Him is no cake-walk, so too marriage comes with all-too-real unpleasantries. To follow one another in marriage requires commitment and openness to accepting one another as we are. The true joy of marriage doesn’t come without a challenge, and for some those challenges may be beyond what we ever imagined, but the blessing of God’s graces that come with the sacrament of marriage can make the difference. To truly find joy in a marriage there must a true commitment on the part of the man and woman, unlike far too many relationships which are provisional—‘I’ll follow you if….’ No marriage is perfect; each will falter needing forgiveness and understanding from the other. We need to be as kind and merciful as God was in today’s first reading from Genesis in His exchange with Abraham over sparing the city of Sodom. The true joy of marriage is found in letting go of the hurts and disappointments and starting again and moving forward together. True joy in marriage is found in acceptance of our failings, self giving, and knowing when to lead and when to follow. True joy in marriage is found in what was intended from the beginning, as in the words by John Denver: “Make it part of you to be a part of me.” Make a great day!

Today we recall the good life, gifts, and works of Saint Cyril of Alexandria—Doctor of the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment