Holy Family

Holy Family

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Feast of Saint Benjamin the Deacon

Good morning. In the words of the Rodgers and Hammerstein song from the musical South Pacific, just call “me a cockeyed optimist.” Yes, I tend to “forget ev’ry cloud I’ve ever seen” and this is true where the institution of marriage is concerned. Yes, despite the coin toss odds of people getting divorced, I remain optimistic. Despite the current turmoil and challenges facing this institution that dates back to Eden, I remain optimistic about its future. Even in the face of the anguishing tales couples share every day with me in my office, I remain hopeful. Part of the reason for my hopefulness is found in the first reading for today’s Mass from the Hebrew text of Jeremiah, “Thus says the LORD: This is what I commanded my people: Listen to my voice; then I will be your God and you shall be my people. Walk in all the ways that I command you, so that you may prosper.” The instruction by Our Creator to listen to Him is one which He has offered since the beginning. It was the message He offered to the very first couple in the Garden, and it is a message repeated time and time again throughout our relationship with God. Unfortunately it is a message which we often fail to adhere to. We so often fail to listen; my wife informs me of this repeatedly. Yes, despite the current storms marriage is going through, it remains as it was intended in the beginning to be a source of much joy. Everything we need to know about how to make our marriage work is there for us if we just listen. As with all creation, the purpose of marriage is to provide a means for being in union with Our Creator, and the path to this union is to listen. If as married couples we are in union with God we will experience the joy that was intended from the beginning no matter what else is going on around us. Yes, it is cloudy and there is the threat of storms ahead for the institution of marriage, but behind those clouds we find the sun and the hope of light for those in union with Our Creator. For God’s people there is much promise and hope, if we but listen. If we listen there is the promise of some enchanted evenings. Let’s let some light into our marriage today. Make a great day!

Today we recall the good life, gifts, and works of Saint Benjamin the Deacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment